Thursday, March 09, 2006

Calendar on Desktop

I feel like that info from my Pocket PC are underused on my desktop. I face several problems:

  • I don't get any reminders unless Outlook is opened or Pocket PC is connected through ActiveSync. But with Pocket PC on my table, I don't need more reminders
  • I lack some sort of view to see what is my plan in the near future, and this is the case even with Outlook opened.

From now on, there is a salvation for problems like this. It is called Rainlendar.

Rainlendar on desktop

Rainlendar shows one month, marking the days with appointments. You can also easily scroll from one month to another. Then, it lists the appointments in next seven days (including all-day events like birthdays). Finally, it lists your opened tasks. When a time of appointment comes, it will alarm you with reminder.

Interface of the program is nice - everything is transparent, so it fits into any environment. And there is even skin support.

Lack of the program is that it lists all occurrences of your task, so if you have some recurrent task, it will quickly fill up your screen, and task list becomes unusable. Also, it syncs its database with Outlook just on the start. Finally, you can't sync back if you change something in Rainlendar (so you better don't do such things at all).

This program is a nice add-on on your desktop, available for free.